Comets earn first win of the season

Stephanie King

Wheatmore got it’s first county test of the season when they hosted the Asheboro Blue Comets on Friday. The Warriors entered the game 2-0 on the season, while the Blue Comets were still looking for their first win of the season at 0-2.

Asheboro won the coin toss but deferred the ball until the second half. Zach Berrier picked up five yards on the kickoff return to get the Warriors started on their own 25-yard line. The Warriors put the ball in the air on their first two possessions and picked up back to back first downs. Quarterback Nick Halo connected with Austin Biggs and Blake Davis for the first downs. Wheatmore continued to move the ball getting into Asheboro territory before turning the ball over on downs. Kaleb Cheek picked up back to first downs for the Blue Comets on their first drive of the night with runs of 11 and 15 yards. After the strong start, Asheboro struggled to pick up another first down and were forced to punt on fourth down.

A crazy punt play allowed the Comets to regain possession with excellent field position. It took just two plays for Cheek to run the ball 13 yards in for the touchdown. The Comets tried for a two-point conversion but were unable to convert. Wheatmore went back on offense after a 20-yard return from Berrier. The Warriors had no trouble moving the ball down the field and almost scored when Elias Austin picked off a pass at the five-yard line for the Comets. Two plays later Khyland Hadley-Lindsay connected with Isaiah Jackson for a 44-yard first down. A couple of penalties hurt the Comets late in the quarter and they would have the ball on fourth down as time expired. After one complete quarter, Asheboro led 6-0.

The Blue Comets were forced to punt at the start of the second quarter but got the ball back moments later after holding the Warriors to just four plays. Asheboro would not get very far as Gabe Hernandez picked off a pass and returned it 40-yards to give the Warriors excellent field position. Wheatmore evened things up with a 13-yard pass from Halo to Garrett Moser. Bailey Owens’ extra point attempt was no good as this was all knotted up at 6-6. Austin returned the ensuing kickoff 28-yards for the Comets as they started their next drive. A few plays later, Hadley-Lindsay found Cheek for a 14-yard touchdown to put the Blue Comets back on top. Cheek took the handoff on the two-point conversion and run it straight up the middle to give the Comets a 14-6 lead.

Wheatmore went back on offense and after picking up back to back first downs on Asheboro penalties found themselves on fourth and 12 after a delay of game penalty. The Warriors went for it on fourth down as Halo found Berrier for a 25-yard touchdown. Wheatmore got two shots at a two-point conversion but neither were good as the Warriors trailed 14-12. Asheboro could not get much going on their next drive as the Warriors picked off another pass with less than a minute left in the quarter. Wheatmore moved the ball close enough for Owens to drill a field goal and give the Warriors their first lead of the night with four seconds left. At the half, Wheatmore led 15-14.

Asheboro received the ball to start the third quarter as Logan Richardson returned the kick 20-yards. Cheek wasted no time finding the end zone on the first play of the drive, but a block in the back brought the ball back for the Comets. Asheboro could not get anything going after that and were forced to punt. The punt was muffed by the Warriors and the Comets were able to recover to regain possession. Cheek broke free for a big run to put the ball on the Wheatmore five-yard line for the Warriors. A couple of plays later, Sam Gandy ran one yard into the end zone for another Comet touchdown. The two-point conversion attempt was no good as the Comets retook the lead at 20-15. After a Wheatmore possession that saw the Warriors punt on fourth down, the Blue Comets found the end zone once again. This time Dyvon McKinney ran the ball 55-yards in for the score. Gandy completed the two-point conversion to give the Comets a 28-15 lead in the quarter. The Warriors were forced to punt on their next drive and the Blue Comets turned the ball over on downs to end the quarter. After three complete quarters, Asheboro led 28-15.

The Warriors opened the fourth quarter on their own 10-yard line but quickly moved up the field when Halo found a wide-open Hernandez for an 87-yard pass to put the ball on the Asheboro two-yard line. Wheatmore could not find their way into the end zone and eventually turned the ball over on downs. Asheboro took over and moved the ball a short way up the field before being forced to punt the ball on fourth down. The Warriors struggled once again on offense as they turned the ball over on downs. Asheboro took over and needed just two plays to find the end zone for the fifth time. Cheek scored on a 61-yard run and after the extra point attempt, the Blue Comets led 35-15 with four minutes left in the game. Asheboro’s defense turned things up on the next Wheatmore possessions holding the Warriors to just four plays. The Blue Comets went back on offense and after a 62-yard run from Gandy, Asheboro ran out the clock to win their first game of the season. Asheboro tops Wheatmore 35-15.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.