Cougars escape with win over Wildcats

Stephanie King

It was a hot afternoon as the Southwestern Randolph Cougars squared off against the Eastern Randolph Wildcats on Thursday in non-conference soccer action. The Cougars were 4-0 heading into Thursday’s match-up, while the Wildcats were 0-1.

The first six minutes of the first half was a back and forth battle where neither team was able to score. At the 34:00 minute mark the Wildcats broke through with a deep kick from Abilio Aberlades for their first goal of the night. Eastern Randolph’s lead did not last long as Jeremiah Martinez knocked one in for the Cougars to tie the game at one goal apiece. The next twelve minutes went by without a score until a free-kick from Fernando Castro gave the Cougars a 2-1 lead with 20:03 left in the first half. Eastern Randolph hustled trying to find a way to tie the game but had trouble getting by the Southwestern Randolph defense. The Wildcats finally found an opening with just under eight minutes left when David Porcayo-Sesmas scored off a blocked shot to tie the game at two-all. Twenty seconds later the Cougars answered with another goal from Castro this time off an assist from Kevin Ortiz. The Cougars capped off the half with a goal from Johnathan Miramontes with just under four minutes left. At the half, Southwestern Randolph led 4-2.

Southwestern Randolph wasted no time finding the back of the net in the second half as Martin Gann scored off an assist from Castro just two minutes into the half. Castro picked up the hattrick two minutes later with his third goal of the night off an assist from Yodany Cuadros. The Wildcats began to look defeated after falling behind 6-2, but they never stopped fighting. After thirty minutes of scoreless action, the Wildcats scored two goals about a minute apart to cut the lead to two with just over five minutes left. Yane Juanito Jaimes and Porcayo-Sesmas each scored for the Wildcats. The Cougars continued to push the ball as Castro picked up his third assist of the night when he set Houston Martin up for a goal with 4:09 left to play. Eastern Randolph tried to cut deeper into the lead, but there was just not enough time left of the clock. The Cougars got the win 7-4 over a resilient Eastern Randolph team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.