Tigers rout Morehead in round one

Stephanie King

Football playoffs kicked off on Friday as the top-seeded Randleman Tigers hosted the sixteenth-seeded Morehead Panthers at Charles R. Gregory Stadium. Randleman finished the regular season 10-0 to earn the top spot in the 2AA State Football Playoffs.

Randleman received the ball to start the game and went right to work. Na’hiem Lilly picked up a few yards on the ground before Coby Price connected with Dominick Poole on back to back plays for back to back first downs. The Tigers picked up three more first downs on their way to their first touchdown of the evening. Price found Poole for a 17-yard touchdown pass. Chris Gentry tacked on the extra point to give the Tigers an early 7-0 lead. Randleman’s defense got their chance to shine moments later as Harrison Moffitt came away with a sack before Dawson Edwards kept his feet inbounds to make an interception with just over five minutes left in the quarter.

After a couple of runs from Lilly, the Tigers found themselves in the end zone for the second time. Lilly scored on a six-yard run with 4:06 left to play in the first. The extra point from Gentry made it a 14-0 Tiger lead. After the Panthers were forced to punt the ball on fourth down, the Tigers needed just two plays to find the end zone. Price connected with Robby Rich for a 57-yard pass that put the ball on the one-yard line. From there, Edwards made the one-yard run for the touchdown with 1:38 left. Randleman led 21-0 after the extra point from Gentry. Randleman’s defense came up big on the Panthers’ first play as they stripped the ball and recovered to retake possession of the ball. The Tigers moved the ball well before Lilly punched one in on a four-yard run for his second touchdown of the night. The extra point was good as the Tigers took a 28-0 lead with 10.5 seconds left in the quarter. After one-quarter of play, Randleman led 28-0.

Morehead had the ball to start the second quarter, but could not get past the Randleman defense and turned the ball over on fourth down. Randleman got a pair of big runs from Lilly and Edwards before the Panthers picked off a pass with 6:26 left in the quarter. Morehead strung together a couple of plays but was eventually forced to punt the ball on fourth and sixteen. When the Tigers got the ball back, they went to their running game picking up a lot of yardage off of runs from Lilly and Edwards. Lilly’s last run brought the ball to the three-yard line before Nate Green took the handoff scoring his first touchdown of the night. After Gentry’s extra point the Tigers led 35-0 with 2:49 left in the second quarter. The Panthers found a little life late in the quarter as they put together a string of play to bring the ball down to the Tigers’ 34-yard line. With 6.9 seconds left in the quarter, the Panthers went for the hail mary but Rich was there to break up the play. At the half, Randleman was in full control with a 35-0 lead.

Randleman kicked off to Morehead to start the second half and used their defense to keep the Panthers in check. The Panthers struggled to move the ball and after a sack by Alberto Plata, they were forced to punt the ball on fourth down. Randleman’s next drive got the ball down to Morehead’s 39-yard line before the Panthers recovered a fumble to take possession of the ball. Morehead would be forced to punt again on their next drive but turned up their defense forcing the Tigers to punt for the first time on their next offensive possession. Morehead would not get far as Moffitt picked off a pass on the Panthers’ own 26-yard line to give the ball back to the Tigers. Randleman wasted no time finding the end zone as Green scored on a 25-yard run. After the extra point from Gentry, the Tigers led 42-0. The Panthers would be forced to punt on the final offensive possession of the quarter and the Tigers ran out the clock to take a 42-0 lead after three-quarters of play. No one would score in the fourth quarter as the Tigers got the win 42-0.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.