Tigers use big 2nd half to top Wildcats

Stephanie King

The RMS Tigers returned home on Wednesday to face off against the SERMS Wildcats.

SERMS won the coin toss and elected to defer the ball until the second. On the kickoff, the Tigers thought the ball was going to roll out of bounds, but the Wildcats were able to recover the ball before it went out of bounds. Timothy Brower found Jani Norwood for a big pick up to move the ball into Tigers territory. RMS’ defense turned things up and forced the Wildcats to punt on fourth down. The Tigers had a rough start to their first offensive possession as they lost ten yards on the first play. Anthony Santos picked up three yards before Thomas Dobias broke free for a 12-yard pick up on a quarterback keeper. Unfortunately for the Tigers, they would be unable to get anything going after that and turned the ball over on downs. SERMS would take over on the RMS 21-yard line. Brower found Norwood for a touchdown, but an illegal formation call would negate the touchdown for the Wildcats. SERMS had the ball on second and 23 as the first quarter came to a close. After one complete quarter, this one was still tied at zero.

The Wildcats continued to struggle on offense at the start of the second quarter as a holding call pushed them back another ten yards. SERMS fumbled the ball on their next play but was able to recover. The Tigers’ defense came up big moments later as Matt Shove picked off a pass from Brower. Santos picked up seven yards on the carry before Dobias tacked off 15 more with a quarterback keeper. A 20-yard run from Santos gave the Tigers their second first down of the drive. The Tigers got called for holding and lost ten yards. Dobias tried to make up the yardage with a couple of runs and a pass play, but the Tigers ended up turning the ball over on downs. SERMS took over on their own 14-yard line. After a holding call moved them to first and 18, the Wildcats picked up some big yardage on a run from Lucas Smith. The Wildcats struggled to pick up another first down and turned the ball over on downs with less than thirty seconds left in the quarter. Time would run out before the Tigers could take over. At the half, the score was still tied 0-0.

The second half of play was a completely different story from the first half. RMS dominated the second half of play scoring as they put four touchdowns on the board to the Wildcats’ one. Santos, Dobias and Jesus Garcia each picked up a rushing touchdown. The Tigers’ fourth touchdown came on a fumble recovery by Greg Price.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.